A delicious and very popular recipe
In this article, we want to provide you with one of the most famous sweet recipes in Cuba. The “Torticas de Moron”, a traditional Cuban dessert originated in Morón, the center of Cuba. Traditionally the cookies are made with lard or vegetable shortening.
Please, see below our “Torticas de Moron”, a traditional Cuban dessert that you should know.
- 2 and 1/2 cups of flour
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons rum
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 5 spoons of preserves of guava or jam
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons finely grated lemon peel
- 2 bars (1 cup) of unsalted butter
- First, you must mix the flour, salt and baking powder in a medium bowl and set aside.
- Next, in an electric mixer, beat the butter at medium speed for 1 minute. Add the sugar and continue beating until fluffy. Then, add the egg and continue beating for 1 more minute. Finally, you can add the rum and the lemon peel.
- Third, you should add the flour mixture to the creamy butter and stir with a spatula. Once manually removed, replace the container in the holder and mix at the lowest speed. Next, you must shape the dough and make 2 equal discs. Then, you should put them in the fridge until they are firm (2 hours minimum). Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Once the previous steps are completed, use a cookie cutter, cut the cookies and place them on the baking sheet. Using a small teaspoon make a small slit in the center of each cookie. Chill the cookies until they are firm, 5 minutes while preparing the guava filling.
- For the guava, melt the preserves over low heat in a small saucepan for 5 minutes.
- Put about 1/4 teaspoon of melted guava in the center of each cookie, do not fill it too much. Finally, bake the cookies until the edges are lightly browned.
We recommend you to cook our “Torticas de Moron”, a traditional Cuban dessert if you want to surprise your family and friends. They will be really happy!
Also, an interesting option that we suggest you is to visit the country and have the opportunity to taste this recipe and others. Please, be in mind that you need a Cuba holiday visa to access the country.