A typical dish of Cuba
This rice is one of the most famous dishes in Cuba. It is true that there are many different ways of cooking it, depending on the region of the country. Certainly, all have their charm, so when you eat it you can savor this mix of ingredients. Below, you can find our own recipe: the spectacular Congrí Rice.
Ingredients (4 pax):
- 1 cup small grain black beans.
- 2 cups white rice.
- 1 white onion.
- 2 cups of black bean broth.
- 1/2 green bell pepper.
- 1/2 chilli red pepper.
- 4 cloves of garlic.
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano.
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin.
- 1 large bay leaf.
- 4 spoons of vegetable oil or butter.
- A splash of vinegar.
- 2 tablespoons oil.
- One day before, soak the black beans. The next day, cook them with the same soaking water, bay leaf, a piece of chilli and a pinch of salt until they are soft.
- Then, once they are warm and you can handle them, measure 2 cups of the broth and leave the beans separately.
- Next, heat the oil and sauté the chopped onion, the chili pepper and 2 of the crushed garlic cloves. Stir until the onion looks clear, about 5 minutes.
- Then, you should add the rice to the sofrito and stir it well for a few seconds. Once impregnated everything went to the next step.
- Now it’s time to add the beans and stir everything until you get a homogeneous mixture.
- Then you can add the previously measured broth, plus cumin, oregano and salt.
- Finally, you should keep the fire high until it starts to boil. At this time, you stir it and lower the potency, leaving it to simmer, until the rice is soft.
- The last essential step is to fry the other 2 cloves of crushed garlic with the 2 extra spoonfuls of fat and add it to the cooked rice.